Michael M. Baranov
T: (310) 229-3500 F: (310) 229-3501
Michael M. Baranov has developed a complex litigation and transactional practice in the areas of business, employment, entertainment and intellectual property law. An experienced litigator, over the past 24 years, he has prosecuted and defended large scale commercial and intellectual property disputes, as well as labor and employment cases. He has represented numerous celebrity plaintiffs in defamation suits against various publications. He has represented businesses and individuals in unfair competition suits, and trademark, patent and copyright infringement matters. As a transactional attorney, he has guided the development and growth of diverse national and international companies, including well-known cosmetics, haircare and apparel brands and a rocket components manufacturer, as well as the careers of notable producers, writers, and directors. As a litigation specialist, he participates in the firm’s defense of health care professionals in licensing board matters. His clients currently include various corporations, such as Warner Bros. Entertainment, Cinelease Herc, Ouai Haircare, Philip B. Botanicals, Quasar Science, Lexmar Distribution, Tokidoki and New Horizon Health. His individual clients ranged from the legendary actor/comedian Rodney Dangerfield to the Oscar-nominated writer/director Jason Reitman.
Mr. Baranov is a graduate of the University of Southern California Gould School of Law, where he is a frequent guest lecturer. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, Irvine. He is a member of the California State Bar and is fluent in Russian. He holds a coveted AV rating, the highest rating given to US attorneys.
- Successfully defended manufacturer of LED lighting, international studio equipment rental company and a major studio in a patent infringement and unfair competition suit, resulting in the invalidation of plaintiff’s patent
- Defeated a $75 million claim for damages in an unfair competition and trade secret misappropriation suit brought against a dental practice, after a five week jury trial
- Successfully argued an appeal clarifying California law of stipulated judgments, resulting in a published opinion of the California Court of Appeal
- Obtained a sizeable settlement against a major studio in a trademark infringement case brought by an apparel designer
- Successfully resolved patent disputes between an aerospace manufacturer and its competitors
- Successfully represented a Chinese energy developer in a dispute over construction of an alternative energy power plant in the US
- Successfully defended a Japanese electronics company in a claim brought against it by the former Governor of California
- Negotiated producer and director deals for an Academy Award nominated director
- Negotiated an overall studio deal for an Academy Award nominated producer
- Negotiated construction contracts with multi-national European construction companies for projects within the Russian Federation
- Negotiated contracts with a Chinese shipbuilder for manufacture of container ships
Rodney Dangerfield v. The Star
Berry Gordy v. New York Daily News
Church of Scientology v. Time Warner
Oster v. Red and White Distribution, et al.